Friday, July 3, 2009

Out of the Box



Growing up, I never liked having attention drawn to me. I shied away from most sports and never really found something I excelled in. As a tot, I tried different genres of dancing and pageants, but nothing ever seemed to catch my fancy. I always had a hard time “tooting my horn”; as my mother liked to say it. I never had a competitive bone in my body and I didn’t mind letting others go ahead of me. I did everything I could to not stand out and loved when others around me succeeded. To my recent knowledge through swing and blues dancing, it is time for that boring pattern to end. It is time to break out of my box. I no longer want to stay crammed in my ‘don’t stick out-make sure everyone else is happy box.’ I am ready to BREAK OUT! Through blues and swing, I have learned more about myself than since I became a Christian when I was in middle school. I am learning to express myself and let loose. I would usually never dance in public to anything that wasn’t a routine, or previously taught (like electric slide or cupid shuffle). I now can no longer be still when songs like “do you love me” and “how sweet it is to be loved by you” come on. Dancing has become a new ‘release’ for me. It’s not only a way for me to have fun, but also a way to let stress out; in a positive manner. Not only are my mediocre dancing skills improving, but it has helped me socially as well. I have never been a ‘Chatty Cathy’, but I am learning how to interact on a more personal level. Happiness. This new found love makes me happy. There aren't many other things right now that make me happier than I am while I am dancing. Several nights, my cousin Jess and I have come home 'dancing on clouds.' We are on this 'happy high' for days and are so eager to go again!



While on my boundless path to self-discovery I have found a new fitting theme song. “I’m Coming Out” by Diana Ross:

I'm coming out I want the world to know Got to let it show

I'm coming out I want the world to know I got to let it show

There's a new me coming out And I just had to live

And I wanna give I'm completely positive I think this time around

I am gonna do it Like you never do it Like you never knew it

Ooh, I'll make it through The time has come for me To break out of the shell

I have to shout That I'm coming out

I've got to show the world All that I wanna be And all my abilities

There's so much more to me Somehow, I have to make them

Just understand I got it well in hand And, oh, how I've planned

I'm spreadin' love There's no need to fear

And I just feel so good Everytime I hear:

I'm coming out I want the world to know Got to let it show

3 comments:

  1. Love this post! Happiness seems to be elusive these days, but since you've found it, DON'T LET GO! You out of all people DESERVE it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny, I experienced the same thing 10 years ago when I started to dance! Totally scared to talk to girls, socially awkward, and I am such a goober already...I can't imagine life without dance now... and your dance skills are not mediocre... you and Jess are both so much fun to dance with... fo' real! I'm sure I will see you out. happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this Emily.. And I'm glad to have discovered this with you :)

    ReplyDelete